Thursday, December 25, 2008

Memes

I figured I would combine different meme’s into one. So I searched my feed reader to find the memes that I had planned on doing and one of things I found was “Where did the word "meme" come from anyway?” and I thought that was a good question, so I decided to do a little research. I found that there’s a whole website dedicated to meme’s and it had a little information about the source of a meme. So the first Meme I will be doing is a Book Meme which I found from Margo. I’ve seen a lot of Facebook statuses doing this meme or a meme similar to it recently. The second meme is one that a lot of bloggers have already done, I wasn’t officially tagged in it, but Leora gave me the opportunity to do it.

Book Meme

Here are the rules:
Grab the nearest book. Open the book to page 56. Find the fifth sentence. Post the text of the next two to five sentences in your journal/blog along with these instructions. Don’t dig for your favorite book, the cool book, or the intellectual one: pick the CLOSEST. Tag five other people to do the same.

“R’ Menachem Mendel of Kotzk asks: Why did Judah worry only about Jacob’s distress? What about Benjamin’s wife and 10 children – why was Judah not worried that they, too would die because of their pain? The Kotzker explains that we learn from this verse that a child does not experience suffering for a parent to the extent that a parent suffers for a child’s pain.”

That came from “Something to Say”, by R’ Goldwasser, the book I use to look up things to say on the Parsha. Being as Tomorrow is Friday that was the closest book near me. This came from page 56 like the instructions said, and from the Fifth sentence, it’s from Parshas Vayigash. I’ve never heard this before, and it was completely new to me. After reading this I thought to myself, that it makes sense for it to be like that, cause normally parents die first, and that’s why it’s so cruel when Natzi’s threatened to kill the parents children in front of the parent’s eyes.

Sevent Facts About Me

Here are the rules:
1. Link to your tagger and list these rules on your blog.
2. Share 7 facts about yourself, some random, some weird.
3. Tag 7 people (if possible) at the end of your post by leaving their names as well as links to their blogs.
4. Let them know they have been tagged by leaving a comment on their blogs.

  1. One of the reasons I love the Large family so much is because I see them as my role models and I always wanted to have 10 kids. It became my dream, and I imagined it as such a reality that I even wrote about it in a paper for my English class in college, and my Professor commented back on it: “wow that’s a lot” (I actually checked the paper for the exact words)
  2. I wear 3 necklaces every day under my shirt. I used to have them all out, but then people would comment on it, so I just keep it under, and then when I need a necklace I take one out. I wear all 3 because they are all precious to me, and have sentimental value. One is a little heart shaped silver necklace that I got from the large family when I turned 12 or 13. The other is a silver necklace with my name in Hebrew from Israel that my twin brother bought me when he went. The third necklace is a silver small Magen David that my mother bought me at a fair one time. I like how it’s used as a Jewish symbol, so I like to wear it as an identity thing. (o, and I used to also wear 3 bracelets, but then my grandmother told me to take them off for shidduch purposes)
  3. I like sleeping on the floor, I think it’s more comfortable, and there’s a lot more room to roll around. Although I do sleep on a bed, but when we go places and they don’t have enough beds I like to sleep on the floor.
  4. I don’t like Wednesdays. Wednesday seems to have always been my bad luck day. Everything bad happened to me on a Wednesday. Won’t go into personal details… But one involves a dog, one involves a orthodontist and one involves a van. Plus in school Wednesday’s used to have a bad schedule.
  5. I love Chinese Food. When I was 12 years old and my father got honored at my old shul, the dinner was in a Chinese restaurant, it was my first time eating at the place, and they had a limited menu. One of the dishes was Sesame chicken. It was my first time eating it, and after that I was hooked, and every time we went out I would order Sesame Chicken. Before that my mother used to order for us the birds nest which was fun to eat, or meat with vegetables. Then one time when I was order with my father he said over the wrong thing and instead of getting meat with vegetables, it was beef lo mein. That was my first time having lo mein and after that I loved it and would always order it. So then it became a trade off between lo mein and Sesame Chicken.
  6. I went in a helicopter for a ride. The summer of 10th grade my family went to Niagara Falls. While we were there we saw this helicopter place where you can ride around in it for 10 minutes. So my mother, my sister and I went for a ride. I got to sit next to the pilot. Before take off they snapped a picture. Then we took off and it was a great ride, we had these headphones on to block out the sound of the motor and so that the pilot could speak to us and give us a tour of what we were seeing below. When we would dive forward it was a really scary feeling. You feel as though you are going to fall through. The pilot talked to me to make sure I was okay, and I said I was okay. Then when we landed I felt all dizzy and my ears were popping. We saw the pictures they had taken, and my father bought the picture of the helicopter with me and the pilot and a punch of water fall pictures as a border surrounding the picture. We also got little certificates, that said we had rode in it.
  7. I don’t like Pizza. I feel like I’m one in a million, when everyone talks about pizza and how much they love it. As a matter of fact I don’t like anything dairy, except for ice cream and chocolate and other OUD stuff where you don’t actually see any milk or cheese. Although I won’t eat Cheese curls cause it has the word Cheese in it. I won’t eat Ketchup potato chips cause it has the word ketchup in it. I used to love pizza too, back when I was two. But then after the ear doctor said I have to stop having dairy for a little bit, I was never able to go back on. My uncle tried bribing me to have a shnops cup of milk, and then he would buy me a doll house, but it didn’t work. Even now I don’t have milk and sometimes I get nightmares that I’m drinking milk.

Now, instead of tagging 5 people for the first and 7 people for the second. I will just tag 12 people who will then get to choose if they want to do either one, both or none.

Tagged: BasMelach, EsPes, FrumCollegeGirl, FrumPunx, FrumSkeptic, Jessica, MaterialMaidel, MikeInMidwood, NMF#7, Shorty, Tembow, TooYoungTooTeach.

25 comments:

  1. Oh, this is the one from Hadassah Sabo! So, you like Chinese food but not pizza, and you wanna have ten kids and freaked out your prof! Hope some of your tagged folks follow through.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Leora: yea, I saw on your status that you got it from Hadassah Sabo. But it was also from a blog.
    Yea, you got that right!
    yea, it will be fun to read what others have to say.

    ReplyDelete
  3. O, and I chose people who I thought might do it. But if there are others that I didn't tag that want to do it, then I would love for them to do it too!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Done! But i wont tag anyone, i don't really know anyone who likes those things, but i think they are kind of fun!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Shorty: I'm glad you think it's fun and that you did it! Those were very interesting stuff!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Update: btw, something very cool! This post was rated as popular in the NYC area by FeedJit!

    ReplyDelete
  7. It's well known that Wednesday is considered 'cursed' in Judaism (it doesn't say "וירא...כי טוב" about Wednesday in the first chapter of בראשית).

    ReplyDelete
  8. Shlomo: I haven't thought about that, thanks for pointing that out. So there is a rationale after all!

    ReplyDelete
  9. i've done it too! look on my blog.
    part 2 coming soon!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Tembow: Yay, I'm so glad you did, I'm going to take a look now!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thanks, now I have something to post. Lately its getting hard to put up great posts.

    ReplyDelete
  12. MikeInMidwood: Your welcome, Glad to be of service, and I'm happy you are going to do it!

    ReplyDelete
  13. You're officially tagged:

    http://materialmaidel.blogspot.com/2008/12/meme-me-me.html

    ReplyDelete
  14. Maidel: Glad that you did one too!

    I think Leora gave a Bracha!

    ReplyDelete
  15. There must have been a reason Wednesday was called "hump day"

    ReplyDelete
  16. (o, and I used to also wear 3 bracelets, but then my grandmother told me to take them off for shidduch purposes)

    THATS retarded.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Jacob: I dare you to wear 3 necklaces, anyone can wear a bracelet...

    ReplyDelete
  18. DavenedByDeKoisel: Very interesting, I've never heard that term before. But that makes sense.

    JacobDaJew: yea, I thought so too. At first I wore it anyways, they were just like cheap bracelets, which had sentimental value to me. One was a charm bracelet, another was also a charm bracelet, but the sliding kind and that had my name on it. Then the third was a purple plastic kind of watch bracelet that had letters "I ♥ NF". I loved how everyone would ask me what that stood for. I had gotten it as a souvenir from Niagara Falls, so the NF stood for Niagara Falls.
    I've had them for many years, so I didn't mind taking it off. For a long time I wore no bracelets. Then recently my mother decided to buy me some nice Jewelry. So I got a new bracelet that's more elegant looking to wear but yet durable enough to wear every day.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Just wanted to let you know that I did the memes :-)

    ReplyDelete
  20. Jessica: glad you did it, I'm gonna check it out now!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Thanks for the tag- my meme is here .

    Oh- and I didn't tag anyone else, because all who I might have tagged have been tagged already. But thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Oh- and funnily- I also wear 3 necklaces all the time :)
    One is from Israel, with my name, one is a gift from my husband, and one is a Magen David from my uncle.

    ReplyDelete
  23. NMF#7: Your welcome, I'm glad you did the meme too!

    that is too funny, really cool, and 2/3 are the same type of necklace!

    ReplyDelete

Now using inline comments, instead of the check box, Click the "Subscribe" link to receive follow up e-mails with comments.