Thursday, September 25, 2008

Why Does it Always Have to Be an Emergency?

Why is it that people always wait until the last minute to ask for what they need so that it becomes an emergency? This usually happens by children since they can’t really think into the future, so last minute they realize they need some school supplies or something and it becomes an emergency, having to go at an inconvenient time to the store to buy what they need. They also don’t like waiting, so when they want something, they want it right away!

Lately I see this happening with adults too. When people call me up to ask me to babysit, some just call me 10 minutes before, or that minute, expecting me to be available and drop everything I’m doing to come and babysit for them. I think it’s insensitive of them to think I’m there whenever they need me. There are some mothers that are really great and actually do call me in advance to book me, and I am really grateful for when they do that.

I understand if it’s an emergency situation and just that minute they need me and hadn’t realized they were going to need me before. But if someone schedules an appointment, then usually they know about the appointment before that day, and should be able to call earlier. Plus I think its irresponsible of those that call last minute, what if I really was not available and it wasn’t just a case of “saying no”. Then if they wait for last minute they will really be stuck. If they call in advance then at least they would be able to create a backup plan.

8 comments:

  1. Some people are not as planned out as you are. They don't know what they are going to do until they actually do it. While it may make life a hassle for you to deal with; I am sure it keeps their lives interesting.

    ReplyDelete
  2. ChildIsh: Perhaps, but if they really had no clue that they needed me then I would understand. I can understand if they don't always have things planned out. But if they know they will need me, then it is planned, so therefore they should really call me in advance. The reason why they wait till the last minute is to leave me no other choice then to say yes. Since it's so late and they won't be able to get anyone else, they are relying on me, so I have to babysit even if I don't want to.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I know this sounds a little manipulative, but next time say no.

    You're letting yourself be used, by always being available last minute. If poeople know they can get you last minute they're less likely to call in advance. Simple as that. It's a vicious cycle, and you're the only one who can do anything about it.

    So while you may feel really nasty saying no, when you really can babysit (but just don't want to), you're only doing yourself a favor in the future

    ReplyDelete
  4. You have to make people wait for you. Let them know that you have things planned out or might have had plans. This can all be done by a simple no.

    ReplyDelete
  5. i wondered about that too.

    "i desperately need a babysitter tonight, i have a wedding"

    uh...hello? did you not know the person was getting married?

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm so embarrassed. Just the other night I called a friend to ask a favor and I said "I waited until the last minute, this is an emergency, could you do this for me right away?"
    You're so right about this, Babysitter, next time I will try to do better!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sporadic Intelligence: you're right. I finally did exactly just that. I got a call if I can come over that minute, I just said I can't that I wasn't up to it. But then I started thinking if perhaps she had asked me before and I just didn't remember, that perhaps I was just getting paranoid.

    MikeInMidwood: Well I wouldn't do it so much for the respect part, I personally don't care to make them wait for me as if I'm such an important person. But just advance notice is all I seek. But perhaps I have to make myself sound more unavailable so that they will realize they have to ask me in advance or else someone else will ask.

    FrumCollegeGirl: Exactly!

    SuperRaizy: yea, we all do these things without realizing I suppose. Thanx, I'm glad to hear that you will be more careful with it, good luck.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Heh heh. I think I agree with sporiadic- you have to let people learn to be more responsible, especially if they do it all the time.

    ReplyDelete

Now using inline comments, instead of the check box, Click the "Subscribe" link to receive follow up e-mails with comments.