Sunday, March 30, 2008

The Staircase of Life

There are two ways to climb the staircase of life. You can either push the other person down, and thereby come out on top. Or you can actually climb to the next step and succeed on your own to come out on top.

Some children feel they have to put others down in order to feel good about themselves. I see many times when children are jealous of each other, for one getting a prize and not the other, the child will say "well I don't care, I don't like it anyways". Trying to make themselves feel good about not getting the prize, as if the prize is nothing to them. Thereby, lessoning the enjoyment of the child who actually did get the prize. Then there are those children that will actually feel happy for the other child. These types are adorable, they act like little adults cheering the other on.

When there is a contest going on, the "Pushers"- the ones who push other kids down to make themselves higher- will report those children that were cheating, thereby showing their innocence and making themselves look good. However, the "climbers"- the ones who will climb up to the next step to come out on top- will put in the most effort they can to win the contest.

The way a person is in childhood, whether they are a "pusher" or "climber" stays with them into adulthood. There are those that always feel they have to correct others to show their smarter than them, or put down and criticize others to feel good about themselves. Then there are those that accomplish good things on their own.

7 comments:

  1. Check out boy yeshivas in brooklyn ny you'll find a whole class braging that their family has a bigger house car you name it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I dunnno...

    I'm the type that only tries to appear smarter when the other person is realllllllllly irking me.

    Like, there are people I hate (I guess strongly dislike would be more appropriate) and everytime they say something, even if its something that I couldnt care less about, I make a comment just because they tick me off so much I wanna make sure they realize how dumb THEY are for not taking ALL the points into consideration.

    BUt again, thats only with a select handful of people.

    ReplyDelete
  4. So I guess everyone has their group of people that they have issues with.

    The part that bothers me, are those that feel they have to correct every little thing someone says, and criticize it, with spelling mistakes and such.

    Even with the candidates that were running in the primaries, some gave me the impression that they had no agenda on their own, but rather they were just saying they won't do the bad stuff that the other candidate was doing. I want a president that has his own goals, and isn't just saying he won't be like the other.

    ReplyDelete
  5. "So I guess everyone has their group of people that they have issues with. "

    I know a person who isn't openly bothered by anyone. To the extent that I really feel she probably really isn't bothered by anyone.
    I really respect her.

    "The part that bothers me, are those that feel they have to correct every little thing someone says, and criticize it, with spelling mistakes and such. "

    Oooo...I know people like that.

    " I want a president that has his own goals, and isn't just saying he won't be like the other.
    "

    I hate this election. It makes me so nervous. The best thing that would happen is if Obama wins the primaries, Hillary runs under the "Independent" ticket. And since Nader is running, there would be no chance of any of them winning, and McCain would win. ANd while I don't particularly like McCain, he's definitly the least qualified in joining the circus.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your story does express ideas which are similar to my parshah post.

    ReplyDelete

Now using inline comments, instead of the check box, Click the "Subscribe" link to receive follow up e-mails with comments.